Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Introductions

Hello Fabius,
I hope this email finds you well. I am very pleased to introduce you to Maisha Elonia, the University of Pennsylvania Law Student candidate we would like to send to Gulu to work with you this summer.

Maisha is very bright and committed to the issues in Northern Uganda. Interestingly, her family is from South Sudan, and so these issues mean very much to her.

Attached is her resume and cover letter. Please be in touch with her directly about logistics for the summer--the sooner the better as she will need to arrange and raise money for her travel. Her intention is to spend half the summer with you and the other half with an NGO in Kampala.

All the best, Alison

ps. The curriculum is coming together quite nicely.

Alison Stein
University of Pennsylvania Law School
Class of 2009





Maisha Elonai
[Address ommitted for privacy reasons]



Mr. Fabius Okumu
Centre for Conflict Management and Peace Studies
Gulu University
P.O. Box 166
Gulu-Uganda



February 17, 2008

Dear Mr. Okumu,

It is a joy and a deep honor to finally write to you in person. My name is Maisha Elonai. I am a first-year law student at the University of Pennsylvania working with Professor Burke-White and Alison Stein on our Uganda Committee. I would like to formally request the opportunity to visit Gulu University this summer in order to further assist with curriculum development.

My interest in international law and human rights work has personal roots. My father was forced to flee his home in southern Sudan as a young man, and since then recurring conflict has devastated our remaining family. Anything I can do to help others seek true, lasting peace would be more than educational to me – it would give meaning to my family’s survival. I hope both to learn from you and to do work that will ultimately benefit the students of Uganda.

I offer the Centre my developing understanding of law, any assistance that you request on topical research and curriculum development, and my professional ability in journalism and graphic design. I am prepared to stay in Uganda for ten weeks this summer beginning around June 1, and I hope to split my time between Gulu University and the Ugandan Coalition for the International Criminal Court.

Attached is my résumé so that you may review my professional and academic history. Please feel free to contact me at any time. I am most readily available by e-mail, but I can also be reached by telephone or by mail at the address listed above.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,
Maisha Elonai





Dear Alison,

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately I cant open the attachments due to unforeseen technical problems
at the internet cafe.

I hope to open from our office since our internet failure is being rectified.
But we highly welcome her to our University.

Warm Regards.
Fabius.

No comments: