Monday, June 16, 2008

Uganda for less than $3

Ack.

I tried to go to the bank on Friday. Work was busy, though, and when I finally got a chance to hit the road, traffic was so backed up I realized there was no way I would make it to downtown Kampala while the doors were still open. So I gave up.

I tried again on Saturday, and certain roads were shut down. It took two hours to get from Ntinda to downtown Kampala, and by the time I got there, the bank was closed.

The banks aren't open on Sunday.

Today I went back, and the teller refused my credit card. She also refused my debit card. Which means I have no money. Well, that's not entirely true. I had 10,000 shillings. I spent 5,000 trying to call the bank to get them to reopen my account. I got as far as giving my social security number before the phone cut out on me. And as much as I argued, the girl at the phone booth insisted I owed her the full 5,000. Then I had to take a matatu back home. I am down to 4,000 shillings now -- less than $3. Thank God for Skype and Western Union. I think I'm getting Mom to wire me some cash. I think.

So I probably won't get to eat tonight. Well, I have peanut butter and Nutella at home, for what it's worth. Which is still probably more than most people get on a daily basis.

I did, however, have myself my first good cry.

No comments: