Friday, May 9, 2008

1/3 way there

Finals are over. I finished yesterday, thank goodness. I think I slept at least 15 hours today, and probably more. It feels fantastic to be done, although I did make some mistakes this year that I vow to learn from, professionally. More on that after grades come out, on the off chance that one of my professors is actually reading this.

In the meantime, I have begun to gear up for my upcoming trips. Today I booked my flight and hotel room for the Sudan Studies Association conference in Florida. Looks like I'll be the first person to present. I'm a bit nervous about that, given how much I haven't done yet ... but truly, if I keep my presentation simple, I think everything will be fine. Mostly I want this to be a networking opportunity, to meet people who know more about southern Sudanese culture and land usage than I do. And I should be able to do that, just by presenting my preliminary thoughts and questions on the subject.

I've already met one woman from Oxford who will be presenting on the same topic. I honestly wish she were reporting on something else, so there would no chance she could make me look amateur, but hey, at least we can trade notes. Maybe we can grab dinner together one night; I'll be flying back home before she presents. (It saves me $60, and at this point I need all the money I can get for Uganda.)

Am also struggling with the national passport agency to figure out whether my book is still valid. Do you know, there is no easy system for looking that up? Sigh. Logic was never the government's strong suit.

Anyway, it's good to be done with classes so I can focus on (ha ha) the important stuff. And it's good to know that I'm 1/3 of the way through law school. I have learned an enormous amount, and I feel proud of that, even if I'm not a straight-A student. And what fantastic projects coming up! Already, I have so many ideas for the International Human Rights Advocates next year!

More soon. Happy day to you all.

No comments: