Wednesday, May 28, 2008

JFK

I'm at the airport, writing to kill time. I have six and a half hours until my flight. I was so worried about rush hour traffic, and security, and extra baggage. Turns out I didn't have any extra baggage (right on the limit, though), no traffic, and, well, I haven't gone through security yet. They accepted my passport at the gate. That was good. And I figured out what I did wrong with my FAFSA this morning -- did I already post that? Hope not.

Anyway, I finally get to unwind. I've been digging through my carry ons to see what I actually packed. The town car showed up an hour early, so I sort of panicked and rushed out the door -- which means I didn't finish up packing well. My rule of thumb for traveling is "always have your passport and a credit card." I'm safe, on those fronts. But there are other things I will have to work out.

Example. I couldn't for the life of me find my camera battery recharger. I will have to order one online and have it mailed to me in Uganda, or rely on disposable cameras -- the batteries are almost dead already, unfortunately. Looks like I'll be shooting more video. I forgot my sound recorder, too. Grumpy about that! I suppose I can tape interviews with my camcorder, but its charge is short and I can't edit those sound files as conveniently. Oh well. I didn't have time to pick up my dry cleaning, so I only have three suits. Hooray for mix and match. I wonder if they sell plus-sized clothes in Uganda. And at the last minute, Darien tossed me my iPod. Great idea! Only I forgot to bring the plug. Maybe I can find something here at the airport in the next six and a half hours.

Honestly, what I should do is call Mia and see if she wants to meet me for dinner. I mean, I haven't gone through security yet. I wonder if she's in the state.

Actually, it's not so bad, sitting here. It's actually beautiful. Some people who walk by, you can tell exactly what country they come from. Oh, that guy's GOT to be Irish. And then he starts talking, and boy was I right! Some people, you can't tell. Well, I can't tell. For example, this stylishly-dressed white couple. I had them pegged as American for sure. Only they didn't speak a word of English. Maybe they are American, but once the language started spilling out of their mouths, I suddenly wondered.

Here is a British woman who looks like a slender version of Drew Barrymore. Here is an Iranian woman wearing the traditional burqa. There goes a lovely-smelling African woman with her baby tied to her back in a sling.

It isn't hard to keep entertained. Especially sitting next to the "Kosher Cafe / Hot Nosh" vending machine. I actually saw someone eat out of that, too.

Speaking of eating, I should go find lunch. I had a banana when I got to the airport a couple of hours ago, but nothing else since Sandy forced me to eat last night. (Nerves.) There are some nice sandwiches not far away. Maybe I'll go see about that. And an iPod charger. And a paper journal, in case I want to write something to post later.

Love you all. I'll make phone calls, if I can find a place to charge my phone.

No comments: