Saturday, May 24, 2008

Gentlemen, start your engines

I'm almost there, already. Less than a week until I take off! This is the first chance I've had to feel anything, too -- life has been so busy with finals, only now can I step back a moment to think about what I am doing.

At the conference last week, uncle Lako pretty much told me I was foolish booking this trip alone. I guess that worried me a little bit. To admit my silliness, watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (that scene with the giant stick bugs) worried me more. But then today, an incoming law student friended me on Facebook, and he has more than 200 photos of Kenya, and looking through them got me giddy -- Africa can be so beautiful! I mean, it's paradise, when people aren't killing one another. So I can't wait to go. And I have something good to work for.

Meanwhile, though, I am just trying to keep my life in order. Insurance, loans, registration, tenants -- everything has to be in order before I leave. It's a lot, and I won't get it all done. I'm working on accepting that. I'll just have to coordinate from Uganda as best I can.

For now, I'm sleeping as much as I can, eating healthy food, and trying to handle at least one administrative detail every day. (Do I have enough keys made? Does Sarah know everything she will need to know to move in? Why is Marguerite's e-mail bouncing, and how can I arrange for her to discuss condo regulations with the new tenant? When does my health insurance policy renew? Where in God's name is my federal tax return? What do I need for a visa? How am I going to get from Entebbe to Ntinda?) But eh, it'll all get done. Or it won't. I will leave soon, anyway.

Life sparkles.



p.s. -- Emily is blogging about Botswana now, so you should definitely check out her blog. The link is in the lowest group on the right.

No comments: