Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The people I love

Last week, when Emily was leaving for Gaborone, I could tell she was scared. You could hear it in her voice. So I brought her donuts when I took her to the airport, and did my best to be a supportive friend. Small stuff, really. She was very appreciative, and I was a little embarrassed. I mean, I didn't do anything special.

Today, I understand better. I have been feasting on Tums. My blood pressure is 147 over 88. I had to fight with my insurance company twice. I needed to verify my identity with the guy on campus who is disbursing our loans, and it took an hour to find him. In the meantime, I discovered that FAFSA still hasn't processed my student loans, even though I submitted my application weeks ago. And my Stafford lender has stopped making loans entirely, so I have to find a new lender. I am trying very hard not to panic. Supposedly I can do all of this from Uganda, over the internet. I am doing my best to just breathe.

Then Michael called. Michael is my absolute best friend from UCLA -- I call him my big brother. He's got an inner strength that I absolutely admire, and a mind to match. I didn't pick up the phone because I was crying just then, but when I saw his picture flash up on my cell phone, it was like ... it was like breathing cool air after being in a steam room for too long. Better. I literally hugged the phone. (And kept crying.) Later, I drove by my friend Jessica's house to give her a video game strategy guide. She saw the strained look in my face, and insisted that I come in, sit down, watch some sketch comedy with her. She bought me pizza. I adore Jessica. And I talked on the phone with Mom for about an hour, too.

I need these people so much, right now. Family and friends -- they are the reason I can go out and take risks like the one I am taking tomorrow. I love you guys. Thank you.

No comments: